Can I give my girlfriend or my future second wife the right to live in my property?

Yes, you can do this in two ways.

You can either give them the right to live there as long as it is their main residence.

You can give them a life interest, in which case they could rent it out and keep the rental income.

Either way, they do not own the property outright, and on the termination of their interest the property will pass to whoever you have named in your Will.

It is a good way of ensuring your assets eventually pass to your own children or other family, while making provision for your life partner.

We can explain the relative merits and any disadvantages of such a gift.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *